The Fagbug to make a stop in Plymouth
The Fagbug in front of the HUB on Monday 3/14. CLOCK PHOTO / ADAM DI FILIPPE
What happens when we reclaim and celebrate the word "fag"? How about when we advertise our sexuality to bring about awareness and tolerance? Or when we use vandalism as a vehicle for positive activism? That's exactly what Erin Davies did, proud owner and driver of the renowned and flavorful Fagbug.
Erin's Fagbug is a unique product of hate and ignorance turned into pride. The Fagbug was officially born in April of 2007 in Albany, NY. Erin came outside of her apartment near school one day to find the word "fag" spray painted on the driver's side panel of her Volkswagen Bug and the words "U R gay" tagged on the hood, all in response to a gay pride sticker on the back of her car.
Offended by the blatant display of ignorance on her hood and window, Erin parked her car outside of the administration building of her school in an effort to highlight the apparent homophobic sentiments present at the college. She was told to move.
Instead of removing the denigrating tags, Erin made the brave decision to leave the paint and to sport the words to make a statement about homophobia. Erin's friend encouraged her to parade the car, deemed "Fagbug," across the country and to document her travels. On her 58-day trip, she made a point to talk to as many people as possible to spread awareness about the tribulations of homophobia, bullying, hate crimes, and discriminatory language.
Erin's Fagbug quickly became a national symbol of gay pride. Of course, it stirred up a fair storm of controversy, but the majority of the feedback she received was positive and encouraging. In fact, the Fagbug had such a triumphant debut that Volkswagen gave Erin the money for a full-body makeover. Erin decked the Bug out in colorful stripes, transforming her old grey car into a giant rainbow on wheels.
Erin and her Fagbug now make appearances at high schools and colleges around the country, where she speaks to students about her travels in the Fagbug, about the dangers of homophobic language and bullying, and promoting tolerance and safety for members of the LGBTQA community. Plymouth State University will have the pleasure of hosting Erin and her Fagbug all day on Monday, March 14.
Erin will be in the Hage Room of the HUB from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., showing her documentary, giving lectures, and talking to students. This event is being held by PSU Pride and is being sponsored by the Women's Studies Council, the HUB, PCD, the SAGE Center, and Student Senate.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Clock News Articles
Recent The Clock News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE CLOCK NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE CLOCK NEWS
RECENT THE CLOCK CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses