The Fagbug to make a stop in Plymouth
The Fagbug in front of the HUB on Monday 3/14. CLOCK PHOTO / ADAM DI FILIPPE
What happens when we reclaim and celebrate the word "fag"? How about when we advertise our sexuality to bring about awareness and tolerance? Or when we use vandalism as a vehicle for positive activism? That's exactly what Erin Davies did, proud owner and driver of the renowned and flavorful Fagbug.
Erin's Fagbug is a unique product of hate and ignorance turned into pride. The Fagbug was officially born in April of 2007 in Albany, NY. Erin came outside of her apartment near school one day to find the word "fag" spray painted on the driver's side panel of her Volkswagen Bug and the words "U R gay" tagged on the hood, all in response to a gay pride sticker on the back of her car.
Offended by the blatant display of ignorance on her hood and window, Erin parked her car outside of the administration building of her school in an effort to highlight the apparent homophobic sentiments present at the college. She was told to move.
Instead of removing the denigrating tags, Erin made the brave decision to leave the paint and to sport the words to make a statement about homophobia. Erin's friend encouraged her to parade the car, deemed "Fagbug," across the country and to document her travels. On her 58-day trip, she made a point to talk to as many people as possible to spread awareness about the tribulations of homophobia, bullying, hate crimes, and discriminatory language.
Erin's Fagbug quickly became a national symbol of gay pride. Of course, it stirred up a fair storm of controversy, but the majority of the feedback she received was positive and encouraging. In fact, the Fagbug had such a triumphant debut that Volkswagen gave Erin the money for a full-body makeover. Erin decked the Bug out in colorful stripes, transforming her old grey car into a giant rainbow on wheels.
Erin and her Fagbug now make appearances at high schools and colleges around the country, where she speaks to students about her travels in the Fagbug, about the dangers of homophobic language and bullying, and promoting tolerance and safety for members of the LGBTQA community. Plymouth State University will have the pleasure of hosting Erin and her Fagbug all day on Monday, March 14.
Erin will be in the Hage Room of the HUB from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., showing her documentary, giving lectures, and talking to students. This event is being held by PSU Pride and is being sponsored by the Women's Studies Council, the HUB, PCD, the SAGE Center, and Student Senate.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More theclockonline News Articles
Recent theclockonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THECLOCKONLINE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THECLOCKONLINE NEWS
RECENT THECLOCKONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How to Overcome Your Smile Insecurities
- Bringing the Family Together At the Dinner Table
- Good Dental Care: Make It Safe
- Gran promesa latina lanza línea de moda para el...
- Cystic Fibrosis Breakthrough for Patients With Fungal...
- Millennials and Health Care
- Is Your Christmas Tree Up to the Task?
- Save Time and Money With a Mail-Order Pharmacy
- How to Store Your Warm Weather Gear for Winter Hibernation
- 5 Ways to Raise Capital and Start a Business
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS
- beIN SPORTS ANNOUNCES 2016-17 CONFERENCE USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
- GoFundMe to Award $100,000 in College Scholarships
- 5 Hacks for Back-to-College Planning with Amazon